Stuffing Dal Pitta
Dal Pitta [Lentil-Rice Momo]
This is another one of the vegetarian momos from the Bhojpur region (see also Dal ka Dulha).
- Flour of freshly harvested rice [3 cups]
- Chana Dal [One cup]
- 2 green chillies, 10 pepper corns, 5 garlic strands, salt,
Preparation time: 30 mins for cooking
- Take rice flour, add equal amount of boiling water and knead it into dough. Divide it into dozen balls.
- Keep the dal in water for 3 to 4 hours. Remove and add two green chilies, 5 garlic strands, 8-10 black peppercorns and salt to taste. Ground this mixture to a coarse texture (not fine texture). Take each ball, roll it into disc like a small chappati. Add a small amount of dal on top of it. Fold this to get a semi circular disc shape. This is the dal pitta or a momo of rice and lentil .
- Take a steamer. Cook for 10 minutes. This way you can cook the pitta in two or three batches. Eat it warm or cold. It is a healthy mix of protein and carbohydrates.
- Serve Hot.
Note: Do not stuff too much dal or the dumpling will fall apart during cooking. You could add the aesthetics such as a nice design using a modak mould, a variety of spices to the mashed dal etc.